Sunday, October 28, 2012

Westland Lysander 'Special Duties'


As is so often the case I was doing some research for a completely different project when I stumbled across the perfect ingredients for this subject and composition. I'd always wanted to do a 'Special Duties' Lysander - those aircraft and brave crewman who infiltrated German lines to bring supplies, and spies, in and out of occupied France during WWII. I know that other artists have produced compositions similar to this (How else do you portray this aircraft other then under a moonlit night?), but I wanted to paint it just the same and with my own flair.

This Lysander served with the 161st Special Duties Squadron, RAF, c. 1944, and was the subject of Airfix's 1/72 scale model kit a few years ago.

As is usually the case with my compositions I was shooting for a mood here.

I'm now offering this piece in a 13 x 19 inch format - signed and numbered.

- R

No comments:

Post a Comment